11 November 2005

"The Crawl of Chufule" - Day 11 (I)

Shut up, shut up, shut up!

Oh, not you. These two characters in the novel. Bickering and sniping at each other. Lord.

At first I thought it was "The Good Stuff." And maybe it was. At first. But God, does it get old quick. And all it's doing is adding words; it's not advancing the plot.

I believe that characters should be true to themselves, and the bitterness they unleased was true to who they were and what they'd gone through. It just wasn't intersting. So I (figuatively, mind you) asked one of them to start over from the begining of where I started. She complied, and, again, in character, has given me what the story needs to proceed.

And it feels like "The Right Stuff". (Not to be confused with astronauts.)

See, there's a definate difference between the two. The "Good" is the stuff you like. The "Right" is the stuff that makes the novel work. Not always the same thing...

More later.

1 comment:

BeckoningChasm said...

Very perceptive, indeed. This really sounds like it will be well worth reading.

Keep on!