13 November 2005

"The Crawl of Chufule" - Day 13 (I)

Reverting, sins, and Blank Spots.

Reverting: Just for the record, in some ways I am as the most inconstant man in the world. I was going to continue writing the novel in chapters. I have instead gone back to "Dailies". Which is why when I bad mouth "Day 12" I call it that instead of "Chapter Whatever."

And why should you care what I call it?

Um...

Ah...

NEXT SUBSECTION!

Sins: I've reflected on the matter and have decided that "Day 12" is the nadir of this experience. It can only go up from here.

Really. It's just that bad. Which is what happens when you rush through.

Here, for my edification if for nothing else, is just why "Day 12" is so bad. It is divided into sections, the way I have it in the draft. These sections, incidentally, have been forming chapters, but aren't necessarily chapters. (Glad that's cleared up)

Oh, and while it might clear up why I hate these sections by excerpting portions, I'm not going to do it. It hurts.

Without further bellyaching:
  1. This is a continuation of "Day 11". It's really not bad. In fact, it's necessary to get to know the characters. Problem was, I grew bored with it. Talk talk talk. Doesn't matter. Next time through, it'll be fixed. By hook or by crook.
  2. Here's where the pain starts. See, my male characters have gotten a change of clothes for the Lamour character and the clothes are to tight. Ho ho ho. I started this thinking it would be funny. It turned out juvenile. Not as juvenile as it could have been. But too much. All but a bit of this is gone second draft (I had more character development here, too. God, what was I thinking? I need more action, damn it.)
  3. This section deals with Krevan's mother, the indomitable Hester Arlsen. I love Hester. She's something else. But all of this is from her perspective. She knows too much. Not just about what's going on in "Crawl of Chufule" but in the world in general. It isn't bad, but it's cut nonetheless. In fact, had I not been rushing for words, it wouldn't be to begin with.
  4. This was a small section with cult members talking among themselves. More padding, I'm afraid. It'll be cut.
  5. Another small section. It really doesn't have any special meaning, so I'm cutting it.
  6. This final section isn't that bad. It's a conversation between the captain of the ship Krevan's on and the captain's first mate. More yaking, really, but not bad. It might make it.
The reason this hurts is that, up until now, every bit could have, in theory, fit. I could print it up and be happy. As it stands now, I can't.

What am I going to do about it? Pretend it doesn't exist, that's what. I can't go back and fix it. It's all going to be cut; I'd have to rewrite the whole thing. As it isn't redundant or incongruous, it's part of the novel. If I'm going to hit 50, 000, I can't play it any other way.

The only hope of changing it during NaNoWriMo is if I get 1667+ early enough in the day so I can go back and tamper. I'm not holding my breath. (plus I need a buffer for freaking Thanksgiving. I'm betting I get nothing done that day. Yikes.)

Blank Spots: I might have mentioned I had this whole plot figured out. That was being silly. The plot isn't done until the characters stopped walking. Blank spots are being filled, ideas are being reformed, and minor characters are becoming, if not major players, then close. I hope to discuss some of this, if not in the next post, then soon.

Right now I'm trying to regain some of my dignity.

"Clothes are a little tight?" What was I thinking? I"m better than that... Honest...

No comments: