03 November 2005

"The Crawl of Chufule" - Day 3 (III)

Breaking my own personal rules, confusion abound, and life lessons learned today.

On breaking my rules: As the previous entries for today have stated, I went back to earlier days to change stuff in the begining of the novel. I tried to put it off till I finished, but what needed to be done was too important to the plot. It was going to ripple all the way through anyways. It needed doing.

So I did it.

I ended up with a better opening, one that manages to (slightly) introduce Chufule as the main threat of the story. More organic, better flow, a better read. In my humble opinion.

Which meant the progress of the over all novel stalled a bit. By one page, in fact.

So, instead of making a new file for Day Four, I'm going to go back and just work in Day 3's file. New rule is five pages (at least 1,667 words) per file. Makes sense to me.

On confusion: Day 3 (II) was originally written in such a way that implied I was padding the novel with redundant description. And that I would have had to do it later anyways. No no no no. Not doing it. Brain fart on my part. (Hopefully the novel won't be full of these.)

On Life Lessons: At this juncture, with all the flush of early success, I am begining to believe I really can do this. I can be a novelist. I will be a novelist.

I am also develop my own method of writing novels. It's thrilling. It really is.

I hope it lasts...

5 comments:

hbrennan said...

NaNoWriMo really does alter the way your brain thinks, no? After 30 days of this, I suspect some strange, new (and ultimately helpful) habits will be entrenched. Already, I perceive them at the outer edges of my consciousness. I remove the curse from ye, Cullen...

Cullen Waters said...

Not a problem. I hope some new habots come up. I need 'em. The old ones weren't getting me anywhere.

Cullen Waters said...

"Habots?" Apparently proofreading before I submit a comment isn't among the habits I'm creating...

BeckoningChasm said...

Sounds to me like you ARE a novelist.

Also, where do you buy your habots? Mine are all rusted and I can't get parts any more.

Cullen Waters said...

A novelist is one who completes novels.

Right now, I'm only a semi-novelist