09 November 2005

"The Crawl of Chufule" - Day 9 (I)

Today's going to be rough. I take my father in for therapy* for his shoulder. On that, I have cards with my Grandfather. So it's going to be tight. Instead of the previously forseen bout of rewriting and new writing, I'm just going to focuse on new writing. Which is tough, cause not only have I not finished my earlier rewriting, the stuff I wrote yesterday needs toyng with.

I'm going to talk brief about the stuff I need done, cause it's a valid enough thought. See, what I did yesterday isn't bad. I liked it a great deal. The problem is tone. It's too bitter.

I'm trying to walk a tightrope. On the one hand, I want a bit of sillines, of word play, in jokes and slapstick. But on the other hand, I want to maintain a degree of seriousness. When Chufule crawls in the night, I want readers to fear for our protagonists. When Nola Green holds a knife to Krevan Arlsen's favorite throat, I want the slightest chance she might slip.

Yesterday, I slipped. A character got talking and, while I felt she had a point, and the situation was pretty bad, it disrupte the mood. What I need to do is put it over the top more. Keep it so that yes, it's reasonable for her to feel that way, but so that its a bit much at the same time.

Had I been doing a straight Fantasy (say "Foul Lady Fao"), this wouldn't be as much of a problem. but...

Oh well. I think I could put it off till after NaNoWriMo is over.

The other edits on the other hand...

*In the intrest of complete honesty, he's taking himself in. I'm there to take him back, if he needs the help.

No comments: