So I was thinking, why not do a sort of top ten list dealing with my favorite novels, specifically from each genre? Not like I've done that before.
Least I don't think I've done it before...
Any way, we start with Science Fiction. Mainly because I'm not that familiar with the novels of that genre. Originally I thought I'd come up with six total, but I barely sqeaked by. I guess I need to read more sci fi...
One last note - none of these lists are in any particular order save as I thought of them.
- I, Robot – This is, of course, a gigantic cheat, as I, Robot is actually a collection of Issac Asimov short stories framed as the reminiscence of one Susan Calvin. However, let's say “close enough for government work” and move on, shall we? The various stories about the future history of robots are all fascinating reading.
- 2001 – It's been a few years since I read Arthur C. Clarke's novel, but I remember enjoying it a great deal. It goes into a lot more details than the movie does. I read the entire Odyssey series, and, frankly, if you stop here (or with 2010), you'd be better off. Especially skip 3001; talk about a waste of time.
- Day of the Triffids – I loved the movie as a kid and what I saw of the mini-series was pretty good, so picking this up was a natural. While I can't say much about the latter, the former really doesn't do the story justice. I do have one minor complaint about the novel, however; not enough triffids or, really, that much emphasis on the creatures. John Wyndham spends so much time on the effects of world-wide blindness that the plants seemed to be sidelined, almost superfluous. It's a great story, don't get me wrong, but when you're coming for killer poisonous plants it's a bit of a let down.
- Dream Park – The story of a holographic LARP, Dream Park is, at once, one of the best science fiction/fantasy/mystery stories I've ever read. That's a lot of balls to juggle, but Larry Niven and Steve Barnes do an excellent job of it.
- Last Man on Earth – This is not my favorite Richard Matheson story, but this tale of, well, the last man on earth is excellent. Depressing, but excellent. EDIT - of course, the book's real name is I am Legend. As pointed out in the comments, I've transposed the correct title with that of the Vincent Price adaptation. Not like I OWN THE FREAKING BOOK! Dumb, dumb, dumb. And after I spent half the night correcting this thing, too. Sigh.
- The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series – Douglas Adam's extremely entertaining parody of science fiction. Funny, funny stuff. The last books in the series aren't as good as the first three, but that's only a small detail.
- Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury's dystopia is wonderful, wonderful stuff. Sadly, it's still very relevant in this day and age.
- The Running Man - Stephen King's tale of Reality TV gone made has, of course, gained new meaning these days. Especially it's explosive end. I doubt we'll see an faithful adaptaion of this book any time soon.
- The Body Snatchers - What's a list of Science Fiction novels without a "invasion from outer space" story? Incomplete, that's what! Jack Finney's tale about a subtle invasion of Earth is one of the most influential stories out there. Good stuff.
- Speaker for the Dead - I hesitated to add this one, as I don't think I'll ever read it again. however, it does round my list out to ten. Plus, all the beefs I have with Orson Scott Card's tale of relationships human and otherwise are Cullen beefs and can be discard.
5 comments:
Course, I gotta point out "Last Man on Earth" was the movie title; the book is called "I am Legend."
Also, have you read Finney's book? I don't think it's as good as the first Body Snatchers movie. For one thing, the aliens aren't as menacing and they just sort of give up at the end.
GAH! GAH I SAY! You're right, of course on the "Last Man on Earth" thing. I'm going correct it right after 'fessing up to the mistake here.
On the Finney book... well, yeah. I did read it. Kind of why it's on the list. :-)
It's been a few years, though. I remember enjoying it a great deal. Dunno if I would still or not.
Funny little side note: the breaking point for me for "The Faculty" was when Clea DuVall's character, having claimed to have read the book, says that the aliens won in the end. Four hundred reasons not to like the movie and it takes that...
I'm more of an anthology person (particularly Ray Bradbury). But I truly enjoyed "Starship Troopers" and "Make Room! Make Room!" (Soylent Green)
Could have been worse...you might have called it "The Omega Man."
I'm not sure I could live with that thought, let alone actually DOING it.
Post a Comment