21 August 2006

Top Ten Fantasy Novels and Series

These are in alphabetical order. Also, note that I've sometime treated whole series as single books. Sometimes you just can't chose...


  • The Black Company series – I prefer the first three books, but Glen Cook is an excellent writer and the others should be worth a look. All of the stories are less about Heroes and more about army grunts struggling to keep themselves and their comrades from being destroyed by the magical beings that are their guardians and enemies.
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever – This covers Stephen Donaldson's series up to White Gold Wielder, as the series has yet to be completed. However, up to this point it has been excellent. It is the story of Thomas Covenant, a leper forced into being the savior of a magical Land. Not the easiest series to get through, as Covenant starts off as an unlikeable, almost monstrous person. As this is, among other things, the story of his redemption, this is to be expected.
  • The Dark Tower – There are better fantasy novels on this list, and elsewhere for that matter, but this massive tale is among my favorites. Roland has to be one of Stephen King's least likable protagonists, but I found myself pulling for him nonetheless. This entry cover not the entire series, however, but the last book. King has an unfortunate habit of dud endings, but this one, this one is something special.
  • Discworld series – I'd have an easier time listing the few Terry Pratchett comic novels I didn't like. His character Rincewind, incidentally, is another inspiration for me. Also, Pratchett's ability to mix whimsy with the serious...

  • Harry Potter series – J. K. Rowling's tale of a young Wizard's school life isn't just one of my favorite series; it's also my family's favorite. Well, most of my family. Brother Todd hasn't read it yet. Little heathen.
  • Hart's Hope – Orson Scott Card's tale of monstrous magics is one of the best in the field, and really should be required reading.
  • Jhereg – Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos stories are all worthy, but this one's my favorite. Vlad, an assassin, finds himself with a target whose death may well start a massive war. More pressing, unless he's very careful, he's going to be killed if he does the job or not...
  • The Last Unicorn – The movie can not prepare you for Peter S. Beagle's masterpiece, even though its one of the best film-to-book adaptations out there. It's a balance between whimsy and seriousness that has rarely been matched. If you haven't experienced the last unicorn's search for her kin, it's about time you did.

  • The Lord of the Rings – I've said my piece on this one here. No matter what faults I might have with it, I love J. R. R. Tolkien's mammoth novel and odds are good I'll be wading through it again before too long.
  • MythAdventures series – Robert Aspin's comical series about the adventurers a young Wizard/con artist/Dimensional Traveler is one of the main inspiration for my own writing. It's a lot of fun.

4 comments:

hbrennan said...

I'm not much for Fantasy writing. However, I really enjoyed "The Silmarillion".

BeckoningChasm said...

I have to say as well that fantasy has never really appealed to me, though I can read it and enjoy it. I guess fantasy is sort of like sports on television.

I did read all the Conan stories when in high school, and I liked those. Haven't re-read them since, though. I like Lovecraft and Clark Asheton Smith, though I guess they're really not fantasy. Ray Bradbury should be added to that company (kind-of fantasy).

I'm partly through David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus, which is interesting if a bit static. And I'm afraid A. Merritt's Moon Pool lost a lot of its interest when it lost some of its mystery.

hbrennan said...

I would catagorize Lovecraft as more "Horror", however, some of his work certainly crosses over into fantasy (especially Randolph Carter's visits to the dream worlds). Ray Bradbury most definitely blended fantasy with his science fiction\horror\whatever. He sits alongside Lovecraft as my all-time favorites ("The October Country" being my favorite collection of stories - I have an autographed special edition).

princessoctober said...

I must say that Lord of the Rings was excellent one of my favorites..although I do believe that the Rhapsody series was excellent.