29 May 2005

The Doctor Speaking About the Doctor

I had three Big Heroes of my youth. I've already blathered on about the mighty Godzilla. The other two are the amazing Spider-man and the Doctor (Doctor Who). I'm not prepared to talk about these two just yet. The former is currently suffering under a inept writer and careless editors, which has resulted in a story I can't even think about without growing white hot with rage. The latter will take a wee bit of work to do right, and as of yet those type essays haven't been flowing as well as I would like.

However, there is a little snipit I ran across while surfing the web that tickled me. I read it over at
Outpost Gallifrey, which, in turn, had picked it up The Stage.

The article is an interview with Peter Davison, who was the fifth actor to play the Doctor during the series inital run.
On his children's opinion about the New Series:

They reckon the new Doctor Who is too scary and asked if they could watch Daddy playing him instead. Although in fact, I'd say that was a compliment to the new series, as it implies that my episodes weren't scary at all and they merely wanted to be comforted by them.

I love that. As a kid, I never liked Davison's episodes. A part of that stems, no doubt, from him following Tom Baker, an actor who, when on, blazes like the sun. However, I wonder if it because Davison's stories weren't as scary as Baker's

On the current Doctor's sudden departure

I feel sorry for the fans, as I feel they've been rather let down. What it really needed, after all the effort and dedication of the fans over the years to get the show back on air, would be to have someone committed enough to stay with the role for two or three years. As it is, the fans must be disappointed and left feeling up in the air a bit.

Two or three years tends to be the average for most of the actors playing the part. The current Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, has opted out of doing more than one season. Which is too bad.

However, whenever I think of his leaving, I keep thinking about Colin Baker, the sixth Doctor, who was wrongly fired from the part, Sylvester Mcoy, the Seventh Doctor, who really didn't get that great of a send off, and Paul McGann, the Ninth Doctor, who had just one televised episode. I think we fans will survive this hiccup.

The full interview, including what Peter Davison is currently working on, can be found
here

No comments: