...but it damn well could be. I mean, easy. My infatuation with the character hasn't waned an iota since I first spoke of her. True, I've done little to act on this interest. I've not bought a book with her in it, as Money and me aren't always on speaking terms.* Beyond reading her bio at Wiki and other places, I do little enough to find out about her.I just look at her pictures.
A lot.
Far too much actually.
But this is really not what I've come here to speak about. Although it's related.
Sort of.
I have always liked comic books, specifically those dealing with Super Heroes. As frequent visitors to this site know (all three of you), I've broached this subject with good cheer and, on occasion, a bit of bemusement. I can get behind their silliness, their seriousness, and everything in-between.
I used to be an avid collector, buying a wide variety of titles (all Marvel). That tapered off in the Nineties as all of comicdom entered a stage of "Gritty Stupidity."** However, I tend to keep up with what was going on in the four-colored world. Hitting review sites, and the like.
Over the years, I found my favorites, some of which I've mentioned, others I have not. Through one such site I found a new hang out called Written World. A part of the reason I'm hooked is because it's written by a female (one Ragnell) and I enjoy reading the opinion of women on subjects I like. Broadens my own perspective.
But more importantly, she's a Power Girl fan. And through her site I can keep track of my girl so much easier.One of Ragnell's posts deals with a comic urban legend. Allegedly artist Wally Wood decided, as a prank, to drawn Power Girl's breasts a little bigger each issue until someone caught him at it. No one did, and by the time he left the book, she was well endowed. And has been ever since.
An amusing bit of trivia, I had thought, but Ragnell disproves it in as direct a manner as possible by posting images from Wood's run in sequence. I studied the images and decided I was spending too much time looking at Power Girl. Or not enough. I forget.
Oh, and if Wood was enbiggening, he was enbiggening in microscopic amounts. Our girl is 100% all righty...
Sexist? Me?
Any way, all of this triggered an idea for a new essay dealing with Power Girl. Further reading at "Written World" on my heroine inspired further thought, and I was all set to blather on about the woman. Pretty much as I have been doing for the past 14 or so paragraphs.
And then it came to me. I'm doing repeat business on a character I've never collected. And yet there is one Super Hero currently listed in my profile that I haven't had an essay for. I've mentioned him a few times, but never wrote about him.
There is a reason for this.
The included image comes from "Doctor Who" and is © by DC if no one else
It is in no way the work of Cullen M. M. Waters
*And when we are, I blow Money off in favor of owning "Doctor Who", used RPG videogames, Anime, and horror movies of various worth. I'm such a cad.
** A lot of really good things suffered during this time. "Doctor Who" was among them, with what was, in my opinion, some of the most wrongheaded story lines imaginable. Fortunately this occurred in the novels that followed the actual series. Even more fortunately, the new TV series seems to be ignoring them entirely, favoring the much superior Big Finish Audios. Which, to my immense amusement and irritation, occasionally try and mesh with the aforementioned wrongheaded story lines.
I have no idea what this has to do with anything, but I thought I'd share and, frankly, it doesn't deserve a post of its own...
No comments:
Post a Comment