01 April 2006

Not an Essay on "Twilight Zone"... Or Isn't It?

Here's the deal. I originally was going to put up a few notes on some "Twilight Zone" episodes I had recently watched.

That morphed into capsule reviews.

Then I decided to do a proper intro to the capsule reviews.

Problem was, I don't know "Twilight Zone" the way I know "Doctor Who." The trials of the Time Lord I've become familiar with for the better part of my life. I can wing it, talk about it's history, the stories, myself and how the show affected my life, etcetera, etcetera. "Twilight Zone", while a part of my life, wasn't that much of a part. On this, I keep my distance from the show. (It's on the Sci Fi channel and it's butchered.)

So I decided to researched the "Twilight Zone". In the process I discovered (or, perhaps better put, rediscovered) just how interesting a person and a writer Rod Serling was. So my intro spilt it two parts, one rambling about Serling, one rambling about the Zone. Which was fine. I planned to do a Fantastic Writer entry on Serling any ways. I'm not sure a proper discussion on the Fantastic can avoid him.

As I did this, I realized I wanted to go into greater detail on the episodes, into Spoiler Country, USA. And that meant more work. Lots of it.

Which is against my very nature.

Thing is, "Twilight Zone" deserves to be handled right. I believe (perhaps in error) that much of the genre series since owes it a great debt. It paved the way for Fantastic fiction to be taken seriously, or, at least, more seriouslt than it had been before. It dared on televison in ways and means that were unheard of in its time.

I'm not sure I could do an essay that did it justice.

Or, rather, I'm not sure I could do an essay that did it justice on whim. In a journal that should be a daily exercise and has turned out not so much a daily exercise.

So I'm not doing that.

Instead, I'm planning maybe five reviews of "Twilight Zone" episodes that interest me in some fashion or another. I don't think any of them are the usual suspects in terms of reviews. (Well, I'm thinking of doing a good... a very good review...)

The Serling essay is in the distant future (did you know he sold the rights to the Twilight Zone to CBS because some of the episodes went over budget and he didn't think the channel would recoup the losses? Mein Gott!)

And this essay that's not on the "Twilight Zone" hopefully works as a sort of introction to those reviews.

And if not... well, what can you do?

Last note: I believe each and every review will have a spoiler or two. Maybe even an ending or two. I will label them with a big red Spoilers Within as a reminder.

No comments: