22 April 2006

At the Gate of Eternity

A gate blocks the road to Elysium
It stretches both high and wide
And when at last you finally come
they will not let you to the other side.

They do not do this out of spite
Or a sin that you've committed
It's just it would not be quite right
If they allowed you to be admitted

Others come and they pass through
and some just reek with sin
But no matter what you say or do
They still won't let you in

And just when you think all hope has blown
Through the gate comes the reek of brimstone

I think that maybe, just maybe, someone was given bad information. Who would do such a thing? Why would they do it? And did the gatekeepers have a good laugh at the sould begging to be let into Hell?

Questions that would lead to a good story, I think.

On the sonnet itself, it doesn't work as well as I would have liked. It thinks itself far cleverer than it is. Still, I kind of like it. Maybe after a bit of thought, something better will come of it...

No comments: