27 April 2006

Fantastic Writers - Rumiko Takahasi

One of the greatest animes out there is a little thing called Urusei Yatsura (or, to be brief, UY). In the simplest of terms, it is the story of a lech who might be envious of Wile E. Coyote's luck and the alien princess who rabidly loves him. More complexly, UY is one of the wackiest, wildest shows ever to air on any T.V. One episode all most killed me, I laughed so hard. I kid you not.

While there are many reasons to like UY, the main reason is that it is based by and large on the works of the manga artist Rumiko Takahashi. Takahashi is, without a doubt, one of the premirer Manga artists. She has several extremely successful series and stories to her credit, ranging from romantic comedies (Maison Ikkoku) to epic fantasy (Inuyasha) to sport stories (One Pound Gospel) to outright Horror ("The Laughing Target" and the "Mermaid Saga") to wild Science Fantasy (the aformentioned UY).

Not only do I love some of her stories, but I am super-envious of her artwork. Some of her people (especially in "Maison Ikkoku") just knock my socks off. My own work pales before hers, but I hope that, with practice, I can do as well.

My only critisim of her is that her series go on and on and on... and there is a bit of repition here and there. I tend to lose interest after a while. My loss, though.

No comments: