12 October 2005

Dark Crystal Sketches - Jen

I want to tell you, that final Aughra image is really growing on me. Too bad all of my Jasc enhanced works don't do that.

Speaking of which...

Here, for the approval or mockery of the masses, is another sketch inspired by the movie the Dark Crystal. This one is of Jen, the Gelfling hero.

Jen has to be one of my favorite heroes in Fantasy. Too often in my youth I would watch a television show or a movie and the lead male is some arrogant, know-it-all jerk. Not Jen. Humble, frightened, bright Jen journeys through his world as best he can, as kindly as he can. What he encounters in his travels might not make sense to him, but he gamely keeps trying.

Still, it's a wonder he didn't get killed the moment he stepped out of his hidden valley...

This is the initial sketch.

I am extremely fond of this one. I could list some of the flaws I see now, but why be petty? They're all minor stuff, especially when compared to how the Aughra sketch turned out. He has his boyish innocence, and while the nose isn't spot on, it's close enough for government work. This is a sketch to be proud of, I think.

Of course, that didn't stop me from fiddling with it on Jasc...
I submit this image as an example of what I refer to as "inking" on Jasc. I tend to use that particular shade of green because it's so vibrant in comparison to the greys around it. When I need to make adjustments to the line (which happens more often than I like to admit) I do so with a bright red. However, I don't do any of the main inking with red. It draws the eye and makes corrections a bit harder. At least for me

One other note on the process: I enlarge the original to 400%. This helps with some of the detail work as well as with the lines in general.

Here is the final image, and you know what? While I like it, I don't think it's as good as the original sketch. I lost something in translation. Looks a bit too... I dunno. Lacking in personality.

Oh well. That happens sometimes. It's a good picture, I think. Just not what it could have been. As I still have the original, I can try again at a later date.

Course, this one might grow on me like the Aughra one did. One can't tell sometimes...

Next time: A Mystic.

3 comments:

Cullen Waters said...

You know what it is? It's the eyes and the chin. Too cartoony on the eyes and too round on the chin.

Worth remembering for next time. Always a learning experience.

BeckoningChasm said...

I think it's the fact that the smile is slightly off center in the first, but right in the middle in the finished one. The first one looks like a casual snapshot, the other looks like Picture Day at School.

I do think you've captured the essence of the character. There's something slightly monkeyish about the drawing, and I think it might be the (apparent) lack of a nose. Maybe...if he were more of a 3/4 view, his nose would be less, um, less.

Looking forward to the Mystic, and can't wait for the bad guys (I forget what they were called). Or those crab-creatures...they were way cool.

BeckoningChasm said...

Oh, I ought to mention that I'm enjoying this series rather a lot.