15 October 2005

Super Deformed Generic Hero is Go!

So I said one image on Saturday, right? Right? Well, that's what I've got. The second image isn't coming as well as I had hoped. There's a perspective issue I need to figure out, and I want to take a bit of time on it. Which means learning more about the art form. Which means improving my craft. Which is a good thing.

Anyway, here be the Super Deformed image. I'm not sure if "chibi" is the right word to use in this case. My grasp of Japanese as used by anime fans isn't the great. I suppose that means I'm not a true otaku, but a sad, sad pretended.

Just like most of my life, really.

Luckily the drawing came out damn good. Otherwise I'd be pretty morose.

At left is the inspiration for the drawing, and not the actual source. It's Locke (or, as I've always called him, Cullen*) from the videogame classic Final Fantasy 6. It's taken directly from the Playstation manual, I believe (I lifted it from some sight or another.)

At one point I considered doing a web comic in this style. I abandoned the idea in part because I wasn't certain I could keep it up. Much like I thought I wouldn't keep up this blog...

Mainly, however, I abandoned it because the characters looked like mutant children. And unless you're writing about mutant children, that isn't the way to go, I think.

This is the drawing. I was going to show the original drawing but Blogger isn't in a good mood right now. Oh well.

The hands are intentionally drawn that way. I figured I could work on niceties such as fingers as the comic progressed. Ho ho. Be that as it may, I like his first a great deal. Worked out pretty good.

The shirt's a dark blue. Maybe should have come up with another color, but I couldn't think of a better one. White didn't feel right, red seemed wrong. And nothing else felt right.

* If I can change the name of a character, I will, with only a few exceptions, name the main male character Cullen. This is either because there are so few Cullens in any fiction and I like seeing the name pop up, or because every now and then nice things will be said about video game Cullen and I get a vicarious thrill out of it.

Pretty damn sad, but I will never let that stop me. heh heh heh

1 comment:

BeckoningChasm said...

He looks pretty cool, though he doesn't really look like a super-hero. Actually, he looks like Keanu Reeves if he was made out of construction paper and was a star of South Park.

Which doesn't sound like a bad idea, really.