29 September 2006

Ouchie

Here's a fun little quiz for you. What's wrong with this picture?


Bear in mind that this is on a comic book cover. A sample of what images you might find within. (Although, in all honesty, it's been years since you could tell what a comic was about by simply looking at the cover.)

I'm sure that we don't need to belabor points on this. The lady appears to have a wee back problem. She is either kin to Elastigirl or recently punched from behind by the Incredible Hulk. When we highlight her back and front, we find she has a wasp figure.

Literally.


But the anatomical nightmare she represents isn't what's wrong with this picture. ¡Por supuesto no!

What's wrong with the picture, then? That this seems to be the norm in comics. That there is someone out there who finds this attractive. Or well drawn.

I'm not the greatest artist out there (yet). My drawings don't have the level of detail in them that this one does (yet). However, in my overwhelming ignorance, I can see how this is wrong.

I mean, ouchie. That pose looks like it hurts.

This post is being "simulcast" over at our sister site at welltuncares.wordpress.com. The author is considering moving his blog. Thee decision should occur no later than end of the year. We apologize for any hassle this causes and thank the readers for their patience.

4 comments:

BeckoningChasm said...

That's Rob Liefield's work, isn't it? His drawings always look like he slept through anatomy class.

Cullen Waters said...

That's hilarious. Yeah, it's Liefeld. I think he did a Captain America drawing, too, that was as monsterous.

Un-freaking-believable he finds work in the comics industry.

hbrennan said...

I think you'll find that below a certain age (say - 21 - maturity-wise, that is), his work will still find a huge audience since his females represent a vague concept of desirability as an abstract concept rooted in adolescent desires.

BeckoningChasm said...

The thing is, though, look at her face. That's a lot of hard road. The only thing worse than his female faces are his male ones.