There's a movie in the works based on the DragonLance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight. It's an animated feature, starring, from what I've heard, Lucy Lawless and Kiether Sutherland. It'll be released in 2007.
You might note that Mr. Waters is not enthused. I'm interested, and then again I don't really care.
DragonLance Chronicles was a trilogy of novels that came out 1984 - 85. I think I read them for the first time around that point... Though don't hold me to that. It's been a while.
The story itself is standard Epic Fantasy stuff. We got our band of outsiders, we got our Dark Lord (in this case a evil Goddess), we got a lot of running around and a final confrontation between good and evil. It was based on the roleplaying game Dungeons and Dragons. In fact, it was part of a major gameline release for TSR.
Back when I read it, I loved every page. But now that I've grown, that I've read other things, it all seems a bit shallow. Lacking.
Maybe it's not fair, comparing it to the works of Steven Donaldson, or Terry Brooks, or Tolkien, three of the best writers of Epic Fantasy. It's sure as hell not fair to comapre it to the Fantasy works of Charles Beaumont or Theodore Sturgeon or Steven Burst (where's our Vlad Taltos movie, Hollywood?).
And yet I do. I've read better stuff. And some of that stuff would be far neater to see in a film.
Whatever. I'm pulling for a good movie in any case. Something better than the last movies associated with Dungeons and Dragons.
No comments:
Post a Comment