List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they're listening to.
I'm glad everybody in the world knows my secret shame now.
That being said, here be my seven songs. This list is in no particular order, may change at whim, and is in no way comprehensive. I listen to a lot of stuff.
This is the only song of hers I can stand. I love it dear. For whatever reason, I see it as a part of an anime opening sequence dealing with my Krevan stories. This may well sound incredibly sad, but... can't be help. Just like the sound.
Bear in mind that the song really doesn't have the same meaning for me and my thoughts as it might for any rational human being. I can't help that, either.
Not only is this connected for me to the whole Krevan stories, it served as an inspiration for, say, the third novel or so in the series. In fact, a lot of the first two novels is working up to it. (On this, the first three novels are setting the stage for the fourth novel, which is a parody of the Hobbit, which is what I thought was going to be the first novel. It's all a bit complex.)
I tend to see a fight scene in it, dealing with a known coward battling an incredibly evil force bent on the coward's painful demise. I want desperately to write this story right now, I have the whole thing plotted in my head, but I want the back story and reader/character the two novels will bring.
Damn frustrating. Part of the reason the failure of "The Crawl of Chufule" bugs me so.
Once more, the lyrics may not match what I ultimately produce any more than the Duff song, but there is a connection and I would be wrong not to point it out.
Beckoning Chasm mentions the Doctor Who theme in his post, and I should be listing it here as well. But when I thought of Doctor Who's glorious music, the bombastic end credits for Blake's Seven leapt to mind. Then, almost without warning, the Tomorrow People's theme came, and even as I write this, it's echoing in my head.
I can't believe I ever forgot it.
I don't have it on my computer, I don't listen to it as often as some of the other songs on this list, so it might not be completely in the spirit of the post, but my God is it good.
I sing along to this one. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sad and sweet, hopeful and, in a way, romantic. It really fits Henson's voice which, when you think of it, might be a bit insulting...
Oh well.
I heard a punk version that was equally great that I also listen to quite a bit.
Oh man, this almost didn't make my list. What was I thinking?
I have been a Weird Al fan since... forever. If I hear his parody before I hear the original, I will inevitably prefer his version. (Lola is one of the few exceptions.) But his original music tends to be glorious and this is the cream of the crop. I can listen to it over and over again. Thrilling stuff.
And, again, I've visualized this as an anime opening. A sci fi series, actually...
You wonder why I didn't bullet this list, this part is the reason why. I was doing well with condensing my thoughts on the other songs, but this one... this one needs a bit of meat.
Brother Eric's into musicals. He's big on "Rent" and "Avenue Q" and all of that jazz. He'll listen to them over and again, no matter how many times you beg him not to. He has been known to push people into seeing musicals. (At least, that's the way I remember it...)
Me, I can't stand musicals. People stopping dead and singing for no apparent reason... Puh-lease. Either all singing or all talking. No half and half*.
On this, "Defying Gravity" is a song from "Wicked", which is based on Wicked the novel**, a story from the Wicked Witch's side of things. I find stuff like that a wee bit irritating and a trifle lazy. Sort of riding on someone else's coat tails.
(But not at all like rewriting fairy tales to suit your own purposes, like I'm doing with "Foul Lady Fao." Totally different, he says, rolling his eyes at his own galling hypocrisy)
Revealing asides aside, I heard this song by accident on Yahoo Launchcast and fell in love. It's the only song from the musical I've heard, which is the only reason why I don't own this album. I have been since pushing the musical on Brother Eric, which is the first time such a thing has ever happened.
Such a reversal of positions no doubt for tells the End of the World As We Know It. (But I feel... okay.)
* In the interest of full disclosure I must mention that I do indeed like some musicals. "Fiddler on the Roof" (which is the own Eric forced me to see) and "Little Shop of Horrors" (movie version) are in this number, but the greatest musical ever made is "The Blues Brothers." I kid you not.
** I link the book and not the musical as the Wiki entry for the musical had major, irritating spoilers. The book entry might, too, but I didn't care enough to read, and, considering the spoilers from the musical, I am sure not nearly as aggravating. Examine either at your own peril.
Oh God, did I ever come close to blowing past this one. I had a vapid bit on Pink Floyd's Keep Talking written up and everything. But this song... all eleven minutes fifty eight second of it... like an opera unto itself.
Words fail me. I just love it. Loved the video too. Hated the Dr. Pepper commercial, though. Talk about missing the point of a song...Incidentally, this is one of the few instances where I bought an entire album for just one song. The Floyd song is another, as is Dave Edmund's "Creature from the Black Lagoon"
The Also Rans
I had an entry for "Speed Racer Opening" theme but I cut it for "Hardware Store". I mentioned cutting Floyd's "Keep Talking", but I could have easily put in "Dark Side of the Moon", "Learning to Fly", "Dogs of War", "Yet Another Movie", or "A New Machine Part One and Two" (The last one always makes me think of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.)
I list no AC/DC. No B. B. King. No Louis Armstrong or blues songs. The Beatles are absent, as is the music from the Godzilla films. Evanescence and Eminem have a place there, as does Real Life's "Send Me an Angel", Boomtown Rats "I Don't Like Monday's", D-12's "My Band", L L Cool J's "I'm That Type of Guy" and several Insane Clown Posse raps.
There's also Biz Markie... No, I take that back. Pretend you didn't read that.
No Tori Amos songs listed...
Crap. Mentioned Hillary Duff and not Tori Amos.
Well that tears it. Going to have to do the whole list again. Damn it, damn it, damn it.
And no classical music, either! "In the Halls of the Mountain King"! "Danse Macabre"! My God, where was my head at!
Where's the Kingston Trio? I should have listed them, too, damn it. Greatest folk band there is. Music playing in my mind most of my life...
Queen! I need to mention them to! And... And..
NO! Must Be strong... Must... post... article... spellcheck first...
5 comments:
This is the post that never ends/Itjust goes on and on my friends...
Damn it, there's another one...
(Note to self: ashbo. It was my word identifier, but it sounds like a character name, too...)
Wow, some interesting stuff. While I've heard of most of these folks, I don't think I've actually heardthem. Mroe avenues to explore.
Yes, I must explore Mroe Avenue. I hear they have a dictionary store there.
Isn't that near Lses Street?
(Not that I have room to talk...)
Interesting choices. Although I do agree with you berating yourself over choosing Hillary Duff over Tori Amos. My favorites from her: "Cornflake Girl" and "Yes, Anastasia".
Post a Comment