07 August 2005

The Unicorn Punisher - a Poe... Ah, Hell, I Can't Say It With a Straight Face

I warn those with poetic tastes that what follows is not, by any stretch of the imagination, good poetry. I put it up solely in the hopes that it will make the poetry I wrote before and will write in future look like quality work.

That, and because for some reason it tickles me.



Stillness
My heart beating faster
thump thump
thump thump
I spy the hunter crouched in the bushes
dangerous orange

I lower my horn and charge
He screams
Surprise!

The gun fires once
misses
Sound thud
soothing red.

The other animals creep from hiding places many
they dance upon his corpse
feast upon his eyes

I pay them no mind.
Job is done.
Now to find a virgin
on whose lap shall I rest my weary head.

Pure golden life 'gainst grimy green deth

The battle never ends



As promise, bad poetry. What cha think? Eyes bleed? Brain boil? Or am I wrong (surely not) and this is good? On the one hand it wasn't intended as such, but on the other... That would be interesting

Personally, I walk away from this poem with the image of a Unicorn in a Punisher outfit, which makes this poem worth whatever damage it's done to my head. I wish my drawing was up to hashing the image into a more physical form...

2 comments:

BeckoningChasm said...

I find it pretty impossible to judge poetry--like the ballet, I cannot tell if someone is doing it poorly or doing it well.

I thought there was definitely some interesting imagery in here, though.

Cullen Waters said...

I will never claim to be a great poet. Never wanted to be a poet. But right about now the poetry:prose-fiction ratio is definitely skewered towards poetry.