Well, this is fun. I was going to do one post on spam. The essay, though, has other ideas. Rambling old thing. I would have posted it long, except I accidentally deleted the first draft (stupid cut and past keys) and the second is coming in longer than the first.
Such is life.
I think it's going to be a series of at least three, with this the first. I will mix it up with a continuation of the mock posters (there’s only one left, after all) and thoughts on the posters, as well as whatever fills my oh so handsome head.
And now, without further meandering…
Such is life.
I think it's going to be a series of at least three, with this the first. I will mix it up with a continuation of the mock posters (there’s only one left, after all) and thoughts on the posters, as well as whatever fills my oh so handsome head.
And now, without further meandering…
A Strange Thought
When finishing my last attempt at this essay, I had a strange notion. While I’m not entirely sure of the order of events, I think it goes like this: first I read these two essays on spam on Crap and Garbage in Violent Opposition. Then I noticed the sudden influx in spam over at Jabootu’s Bad Movie Dimension. And, as I will mention later, found some of it amusing. Finally my poor little blog received a veritable deluge of spam. And found that irritating and amusing in turns.
Thinking about this chain of events, I remembered a quote from Repo Man, which goes as follows:
Thinking about this chain of events, I remembered a quote from Repo Man, which goes as follows:
A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconsciousness.
I’m not sure it has any connection to any of these events. If it does, though, it means I brought spam on my head due to thinking about it. Which is silly, really. Really, silly.
However, just in case, I’m thinking about inspiration for the novel awfully hard...
However, just in case, I’m thinking about inspiration for the novel awfully hard...
Also, winning lottery numbers... before the drawing...
And a beautiful woman who likes Godzilla, Doctor Who, Spider-man, and mildly overweight 32 year old man who have all the social skills of a man born without social skills.
Well?
Come on, Cosmic Unconsciousness!
I don’t have all day.
And a beautiful woman who likes Godzilla, Doctor Who, Spider-man, and mildly overweight 32 year old man who have all the social skills of a man born without social skills.
Well?
Come on, Cosmic Unconsciousness!
I don’t have all day.
Spam Thoughts
I find that there’s nothing about the CaGiVO essays that I disagreed with. Spam takes, it never gives. Sort of like telemarketing. In fact, very much like telemarketing these days, as I’ve been put on hold more than once for a “important call”.
I used to use a Excite e-mail account until it got so cluttered with spam. Some of it in German. And I don’t even speak German.
These days I use another account entirely, only checking with Excite to report the spam. Not once have I bought anything in regards to spam, nor do I expect to ever do so. Still, I have a feeling my ever so strong reaction to the stuff is having no effect whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if whole operations aren’t paid for with one or two buyers.
Which makes me envious for some reason.
I used to use a Excite e-mail account until it got so cluttered with spam. Some of it in German. And I don’t even speak German.
These days I use another account entirely, only checking with Excite to report the spam. Not once have I bought anything in regards to spam, nor do I expect to ever do so. Still, I have a feeling my ever so strong reaction to the stuff is having no effect whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if whole operations aren’t paid for with one or two buyers.
Which makes me envious for some reason.
3 comments:
"CaGivo"--that's cool. Sounds like one of Rossini's lesser operas...thanks for the hat tip!
Spam is easy and prevalent because it's the cheapest thing out there. You sign up for a hotmail account (free), you walk into the local library (free), you blast your spam and you're gone. Cost to you: whatever calories you burned going to the library. If anyone at all repies, it's pure profit.
Not that I'm excusing it, or saying spammers shouldn't get a whallop upside the head....
Oh yeah. You're right. I keep thinking if they run a website or something there might be an expense there.
Course, they could be using Blogger...
The Cosmic Unconsciousness strikes again!
Post a Comment