This month's Writer's Digest has an article by Joe Ortiz called "Supercharge Your Creativity". In the article, Ortiz gives six writing games. Of the six, I've found only two useful for my own creative hang ups. Mileage will, of course, vary from writer to writer.
One of the two I found very interesting. In it, Ortiz suggests taking a painting (preferably with people in it) and writing three sentences. The first describes how the people got into the situation they were in the painting. The second gives a bit of one of the people's point of view. The third is about what happens next. Sounds fun, if nothing else, right?
But there's more! Back during my sophomore year at Marian, we had a homework assignment that was basically the same thing. In this case, writing a page or two. It was, as I recall it, one of the few times I got an A in the class. Good times.
Anyway, I've been thinking of doing something similar as a writing exercise for sometime. I've been collecting art for it, as well as potential sketch material. Not just online, mind you; I at on point bought two books worth of paintings for this notion. Nothing had come of it yet, but by the time I was inspired by Ortiz's article, I had a good set of images to play with.
What I thought I would do this week is post my efforts. I would post the painting, talk about the artist and the work, and, at the end (because it'll be so very short) my three sentences, as well as any thoughts on said sentences.
Sounds like fun to me.
One of the two I found very interesting. In it, Ortiz suggests taking a painting (preferably with people in it) and writing three sentences. The first describes how the people got into the situation they were in the painting. The second gives a bit of one of the people's point of view. The third is about what happens next. Sounds fun, if nothing else, right?
But there's more! Back during my sophomore year at Marian, we had a homework assignment that was basically the same thing. In this case, writing a page or two. It was, as I recall it, one of the few times I got an A in the class. Good times.
Anyway, I've been thinking of doing something similar as a writing exercise for sometime. I've been collecting art for it, as well as potential sketch material. Not just online, mind you; I at on point bought two books worth of paintings for this notion. Nothing had come of it yet, but by the time I was inspired by Ortiz's article, I had a good set of images to play with.
What I thought I would do this week is post my efforts. I would post the painting, talk about the artist and the work, and, at the end (because it'll be so very short) my three sentences, as well as any thoughts on said sentences.
Sounds like fun to me.
1 comment:
Believe it or not, I actually did some of my most creative work sitting in a small strip joint called the "Chez Joey" in San Antonio (when I was in the Army). I used to go when I was the only "customer" in the place and tried to imagine how these females came to find themselves there. Back then, I mostly wrote poetry that detailed failed relationships mixed with fantasy and horror elements. I guess watching those women was a little like staring at a painting (possibly from "Night Gallery"). Criminey, I sound depressing, today.
Post a Comment