04 October 2006

Mini Reviews (II): Night of the Blood Beast, El sonido prehistórico/Sound of Horror, and Dead End

More Mini Reviews! Such fun. Three this time, of varying quality and worth.

Night of the Blood Beast

A space pilot miraculously returns to life after a devastating crash to find himself pregnant with alien spore. Meanwhile, the papa alien is roaming about causing havoc.

Paging Professor Quatermass and Beluah from Venus. Your plots have been stolen and mangled together. Quite the mess, no hope for salvation.

That's probably unkind and unfair. But... This movie did have some potential. I started watching it, giving it the full benefit of the doubt, and bit by bit it lost me. It wasn't the big headed alien or the questionable science, or even the pilot, who's continued existence is not quite adequately explained. It was just an overwhelming sense of tedium brought to the proceedings. I couldn't help but think that maybe if it had Roger Corman as the director it might have been a contender. But alas, Corman was only an executive producer.


El sonido prehistórico/Sound of Horror

Treasure hunters disturb an invisible dinosaur and fun is had by all... save the viewers of this film.

This is one dull movie.

A story about an invisible dinosaur sounds promising enough. I guess. In principle. But in practice...

The monster doesn't show up until half way through the film, and by that time you've heard so much about this treasure, the people looking for the treasure, how weak women are, and so on that you start praying for the monster to arrive.

Or fast forwarding to the monster bits.

Which was what I did.

Be warned: The monster bits aren't worth it.


Dead End

A father tries a new route and sends his family into a nightmare.

And now for something completely different: a good Horror movie.

Anyone who has spent as much time watching Horror films as I have will know where this one's heading long before any of the protagonists do. This does not mean that this is a waste of your time. Far from it. Unlike the first film mentioned in this post, this movie plays with its basic situation, adding fresh moments and dark humor to the proceedings. In the end, it proves itself a worthy entry into its own particular subgenre.

All that effort not to spoil things and I've probably ruined the whole thing.

Give it a shot. I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments: