10 February 2006

Now That's Got to Be Embarrassing

Read this in the paper today: A part of the deal for Monday Night Football guy Al Michaels moving to NBC included ABC (Disney) acquiring the rights to one Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

I understand why this happened. Oswald was Mickey's predecessor. It's a part of the Disney heritage and, when everything is said and done, probably should be under the Mouse's banner. Not that I think the rabbit will pop up with any greater frequency now, but that's not the point.

The point is that Al Michaels just got traded for a cartoon rabbit.

A. Cartoon. Rabbit.

Gives me the giggles. I'm sure he doesn't care, I'm sure he doesn't think it matters. But I still think its a wee bit funny.

Of course, now that I've had my laugh, I'm destined to be traded for Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I probably deserve it.

6 comments:

BeckoningChasm said...

Trading people for Manos is banned under the Geneva Convention.

Have you ever seen Manos in its full (non MST3K) "glory"? There isn't a single redeeming feature about it. Not a one. The world was made worse when it was filmed.

Cullen Waters said...

Let me tell you, I am so gloriously unaware of Manos, it isn't even funny. I haven't even seen the MST3K version, that's how unaware. In fact, I was about to head over to the Wiki entry to check out more about it when I saw your post.

It can't be worse than "Legend of Bigfoot", though. Can it?

Cullen Waters said...

Having now read the entry I can answer my own question: Yes. Yes it can. Whether or not it would be the worse movie I've ever seen is the next question, one that I never, ever plan to answer.

Samantha's--Dad said...

Can you think of any other time in history that a live person was traded for a fictional object?
I enjoy reading your blog, it is quite well done and entertaining.

Cullen Waters said...

Thank you for the kind words.

I honestly can't say that I have, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had happened before.

BeckoningChasm said...

Manos simply hurts to watch. That's about it. It might have made a good 15 minute short, but stretching it out as long as they did was torture. It's easy to make jokes about how Hal P. Warren (writer-director-star) was also a manure salesman, and how this was his way of branching into new sales, but honestly it's simply BAD. Not fun bad, just bad bad.

The only film I've seen which is worse is Norman Mailer's Maidstone.